Wednesday, August 24, 2011

FRESH PAINT! means Martha Burket's on summa vacation...

My friend Martha is on Summa Vacation, that means shes painting in her studio "out the island".

Back in the day we would all paint in the summa a great way to make a few bucks.   I got tired of that really quick and one summa I decided I'd hired my younger brother to paint my house.  He needed a job (ie:some money) so it sounded like a good idea.  Little did I know when I hired him it was his first and last house painting job ever.  He climbed the ladder onto the lower kitchen roof  section of the house so he could paint the side wall of the upper wing.   Set the whole gallon down on step pitched roof and bingo all I can say good about it is,  the old mill house had gutters, you know them old fashion wood ones otherwise paint would have run all down the side of the house.   The paint color was a Salmony-Peach, I always thought it a tad bit bold for house color, but turned out all right,  the roof was salvaged, you could say I was fortunate because it was water based paint and we hosed the roof down for 'bout 3 hours 'till we got the paint out of every shingle.
Lets get back to Martha... 
Martha Burkert's "August"

Well Martha doesn't paint like that, not spilling gallon buckets or painting houses, Martha's an accomplished artist and paints with oil based paints in her Yarmouth studio.  This summa she's bin-sum-bizy, getting canvases ready for the exhibit entitled Near & Far. The exhibit opens Tonight Thursday August 25th at the Elizabeth Moss Gallery in Falmouth with a meet & eat session from 5-7pm. Martha's been painting for few years and has mastered her craft, have you ever seen any of Martha's works?  I get to see them in the summer when she's in town and for me when I'm viewing them I feel strangely comfortable, like I'm in a big overstuffed comfy "bark-a-lounger".  Honestly, you know that feeling when you release a big sigh of relief, that's how I feel when viewing a Martha Burkert oil painting, relaxed and comfortable.
Martha visions for the viewer a friendly - familiar some times unfamiliar scene with bright bold colors,  I like the fact that she cranks the color or takes the Jonathan Livingston SeaGull perspective,  this is the stuff that makes viewing the canvas more fun, more interesting.  

I'm proud to say I know Martha and I'm also proud to say that in this exhibit of 11 paintings of comfy Maine  landscapes not one single lighthouse was spotted...

WHY GO SEE MARTHA BURKERT'S EXHIBIT NEAR & FAR AT THE LIZ MOSS GALLERY IN FALMOUTH



GO BECAUSE YOUR GOOD MIND NEEDS GOOD ART. ...




The Gallery Talk is made possible by the generosity of the WMPG Radio listening community.  The blog is the text version of the art rant heard every Thursday at 7am, 5 & 9:30pm on WMPG college and community radio Broadcasting from the University of Southern Maine
90.9 , 104.1 and streaming on the web at http://www.wmpg.org/  

The Factoids:
The Exhibit: Near & Far 
Featuring Artist:  Martha Burkert 
At: The Elizabeth Moss Gallery 
251 US Route 1 at the Falmouth Shopping center.
August 25th - October 9th.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lars! The interview with Steve Hirshon this morning was great fun and your review put a big smile on my face...the Portland art community needs you out there so keep up the good work. To see more images of my work, you can visit my shiny new website at
    www.marthaburkert.com

    Martha Burkert
    PS See you at the opening tonite at the Elizabeth Moss Gallery in Falmouth Shopping Center!

    ReplyDelete